Custom Search

Monday 24 April 2017

Kerria Japonica Pleniflora Yellow Spring Flowering Shrub.

batchelors buttons yellow shrub-life between the flowers gardening blog
Kerria Japonica Pleniflora Jews mantle Batchelor's buttons-life between the flowers gardening blog

Origins

Yellow Spring flowering Shrub Kerria Japonica Pleniflora is also known by its two more common names of Jews Mantle or Batchelor's Buttons. It is a native of China, Japan and The Korean Peninsula.  The cultivar Pleniflora is named after William Kerr a young Scottish Kew gardener, plant hunter and collector.  Kerria Japonica was one of the numerous plants he sent back to The Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew in London, as part of an expedition organised by the East India Company to China to find new and undiscovered plants in 1804. It was the Kerria shrub which was subsequently named in his honour.

Growing Habit

Kerria Japonica Pleniflora tends to grow in a thick clump of numerous stems. It is a vigorous grower and will reach a maximum height of around 3.5 metres (12feet) in 8-9 years It produces suckers around the thicket increasing the shrubs width year on year but this seldom reaches beyond the 3 metre mark (10feet). They are however easily maintained and because of their tolerance to most conditions are an ideal shrub to plant in those 'difficult' garden places. Deciduous during Winter, they are prolific flowerers from mid Spring their yellow blooms creating an enormous amount of cheer in celebration of the new growing season.

Planting and Pruning

Kerria Japonica Pleniflora will tolerate most soil conditions providing it is reasonably drained. It is happy in full sun or partial shade and can cope with almost all aspects and exposed conditions.  To plant a new shrub from a pot you can give it the best start by digging a hole twice the size of the pot. Add in plenty of compost and a handful of fish blood and bone meal. Water well in and continue to keep moist for the first year or until the shrub becomes established. this is particularly important over the Summer months. It is important to prune Kerria straight after flowering. In Britain that means ideally not later than the second week of June. The reason for this is that they flower on growth from the previous year, so the new shoots that emerge through the Summer will have plenty of time to develop ready to flower the following Spring. They should be cut back quite hard removing old flower stems and dead wood. This should encourage new growth from the base.
Click here for Plants, Seeds and Bulbs at Amazon
yellow flowering shrub batchelors buttons-life between the flowers gardening blog
General views and discussion are welcome, please say hello. I regret because of my busy schedule I am unable to answer questions. Please consider clicking a link of interest on this site or shopping with amazon from here which may mean I receive a small commission which helps me maintain this blog Thanks so much for visiting life between the flowers today, hope to see you back here soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love spending my free time in my garden. I'm all alone, no one annoying calls me. I am looking for ideas for my garden and I found it here. Thank you for your work. I will use your ideas at home. I'll do everything myself, I won't have to answer onerous calls from contractors. I will also set up my blog at www.wiebelter.info if you have a moment, please have a look. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will definitely visit you more often.